Monday, June 20, 2011

Carpathians : Kolomyya

I loved Kolomyya! My favourite day trip in my 12 day trip around the Ukraine.

Waking up at 7am in the morning, i tipped toed out of the room trying not to wake Romain ( the other couchsurfing guest up).I headed to the bus station to catch the first bus to Kolomyya.

It was Sunday.And sunday in Kolomyya means....Sunday market!Everyone brings their 2nd hand goods to the market and hope to sell something.So you get to see all sorts of knick knacks.From 2nd hand clothes,shoes,radios and all sorts of screws and rusty things.Even tombstones!The market was outdoors and people just found a spot on the pavement and started displaying their wares.

I was looking at some soviet pins.And the owner of the table got curious about me.Surprised to find out that I am from Singapore, he announced I was here.The old man he was serving before that, stood there and watch me in curosity.People cycling by,stopped and watched me.
The owner started asking me tons of questions and said that it was a pity that i was staying for so short a time.He would have loved to bring me to see his dacha in the countryside where everything is more beautiful,especially in summer.(perhaps not a very good idea for a girl to follow a 50+year old man to his dacha, but it's the thought that counts isn't it?)

One of the key atttractions in Kolomyya is the Ukrainian Egg Museum( Pysanky Museum )!You find these eggs being sold all over russia but ukrainians claim that it originated from the Ukrainian and they have their very unique style of painting them too.

The Museum of Hutsul Folk Art was interesting as well.Descriptions next to the museum showpieces were in ukrainian and english.(no russian translation)

The one thing i really miss from Kolomyya and some of the cities in Russia was the Pampushky (Doughnuts) especially those with savoury fillings.You can find them sold by old grannies walking around the market.So fresh , so light.It makes american sweet doughnuts taste artificial with heaps of sugar.

I guess I just love savoury doughnuts more!


No comments:

Post a Comment