Sunday, June 19, 2011

Crimea : Simferopol

As I arrived in Simferopol where my luggage was stored, I noticed a banner along the streets advertising tours in Asia and Singapore!Wished that i had the time to take some photos of that!

Although i didn't have time to check out the city , the train ride from Simferopol was really interesting.

The попутчики/poputchiki ( fellow travellers _ there isn't an appropriate english word to describe strangers you meet on the train,sleeping in the same wagon and start conversations with ) sleeping around my berth in the wagon section was a ukrainian couple.The lady was a russian language teacher in Odessa!She speaks english and is good friends with the peace corps volunteers in Odessa.She enlightened me about stories of international students studying in Odessa.The dark side of things.

She told me that she loves the Ukraine but wishes that there is a Singapore styled government running it.And the way the elect for their president is by ...which candidate will do lesser harm to their country.That was my moment of pride!They had a tv program in the Ukraine about Singapore and its achievements.And apparently, my ukrainian friend told me that her teacher spoke of Singapore during her class in university.About Lee Kuan Yew.Our living legend respected by us all!

We had really strange poputchiki sleeping next to us.A very rude and sarcastic old American man in his 70ties who could not take the discomfort of sleeping in 3rd class ,yet did not pay a higher price to sleep in the 1st class wagon.There was this ukrainian woman in her 40ties,wearing leopard print pants and a shiny gold jacket who spoke a little english helping him out.This perhaps led to some stares.Was she dating this 70 year old jackass?It's a disgrace to Ukrainian women!The Ukrainian lady had a daughter who was ignoring her mother the whole journey.Probably because of the old American Jackass.

I later found out at the train station that she was just trying to help the foreigner and they were not related at all.The American man went his own way after getting off the train at Odessa.And I spoke to him briefly at the luggage storage area at the train station.He was much nicer to me there.

It was a pity that I didn't dare to take any photos with these very interesting poputchiki.I wished that I had just asked!


Train Station at Simferopol, Ukraine

No comments:

Post a Comment