Sunday, June 19, 2011

Crimea : Bakhchsaray

Bakhchsaray .If there was one city/village in the Ukraine  I was extremely excited to see...this will be it.Most of the Muslim population and Tatars in Ukraine live here.Although I am not a Muslim , Islam and islamic art fascinates me.

While studying in Petrozavodsk,Russia, I met a lady in the Petrozavodsk Orchestra who was from a city near Bakhchsaray and she had only nice things to rave about it,admist the surprise that a young girl.....from Singapore has even heard about the city.However,I was warned by my host in Yalta that some Tatars cannot be trusted,so i have to watch my back all the time.

Fortunately ,I did not meet anyone who was dodgy or ill treated me.Everyone left me alone until I approached them for help on directions.The woman i approached to ask for directions appeared shy under her tudung but made sure that I got onto the right bus to get to Khan's Palace.

I had to catch a bus ( 1hour ride ) at 5pm from Bakhchsaray to Simferopol so that i will not miss the 7pm train onwards to Odessa.THat gives me less than 4 hours to check out both Khan's palace and the caves.Another big rush for the day.


What to see?1) Khan's Palace
2) Chufut Kale cave city


Khan's Palace
It is actually pretty incredible to see this in the Ukraine.Just like how the beauty of the Vietnamese temple behind the tall white walls shocked me in Kharkov , Khan's Palace surprised me.Minarets and islamic art was showcased in the Palace.

A Church in a cave?
A short walk in the direction of Chufut Kale cave city will bring you to a Russian Orthodox Church................. in a cave! While most people expect the standard standalone Russian Orthodox Church to be around Ukraine , Bakhchsaray boost something that the other parts of Ukraine can't offer.As lonely planet says , the church that makes everyone goes ahhhhhhhhh! it sure did!

Chufut Kale Cave City
From the cave church ,it is an easy hike up to the Chufut Kale Cave City.Not advisable to do in boots.( my only footwear for the trip) . The route up through the jungled area had a distincted paved trail and a few people selling souvenirs along the way.

And finally after an hour, I saw it.The yellow sign hidden among the trees- Chufut Kale!Looking left , there it was.The cave cities ,Chufut Kale.It was amazing...until i realized that there was a girl sitting at the entrance collecting an entrance fee.(Did she walk up like this everyday?).I met a German couple visiting the caves as well.They were travelling around the world on their bicycles.And I am a Singaporean girl who speaks a little Russian that appeared out of nowhere at this cave city in Crimea.Now that's random.

And we found a movie crew filming in Chufut Kale!
They came up by trucks.One actor dressed in Middle Eastern attire appeared in front of me suddenly and gave me a shock.He laughed at my expression.And I hurried off.If only I stopped to ask what movie this was.

Hurrying down back to the city after snapping a few shots, i cursed at myself for not allocating more time for this city.

Well, back to to Simferopol!To catch my train to Odessa!



No comments:

Post a Comment